- Architects: Yuji Tanabe Architects
- Location: Karuizawa, Kitasaku District, Nagano Prefecture, Japan
- Area: 635.0 sqm
- Project Year: 2015
- Photographs: Courtesy of Yuji Tanabe
- Structural Engineer: LFS + NCN
- Facility Engineer: comodo + bews + mana international
- Landscape Design: Yuji Tanabe Architects, honda GREEN
- Contractor: Takehanagumi
From the architect. Sunlight filtering through the leaves of trees.
It takes around 60 minutes from Karuizawa to Tokyo by express train. This site is surrounded by many high trees and has river on west side.
So we design the corridor (Forest Walk) at the 2nd floor level for people can feel close them.
The plan is distributed between the bakery area that including the café terrace in the south side and the restaurant area that having a big void in the north side. These areas are tied up even to the 2nd floor bridge too. This is the flexible plan that can support the change.
A local tree (Japanese larch) is used for the exterior material. We selected slanted roof and saving the max height point. It helps to blending with the surroundings.